There are many viral diseases that can affect cats, some of which can be very serious or even fatal. Some of the most common viral diseases in cats are:
- Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV): This virus weakens the cat’s immune system and makes it more prone to secondary infections. It is spread by biting and saliva from infected cats. There is no cure, but supportive care can help the cat live longer.
- Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV): This virus causes cancer and other diseases in cats. It is also spread by saliva and other bodily fluids from infected cats. There is no cure, but vaccination can prevent infection in healthy cats.
- Feline Herpesvirus (FHV) and Calicivirus (FCV): These viruses cause upper respiratory infections in cats, with symptoms such as sneezing, nasal discharge, eye inflammation, and ulcers. They are very contagious and can be transmitted by direct contact or through the air. There is no specific treatment, but supportive care and antibiotics can help the cat recover.
- Feline Parvovirus (FPV): This virus causes a severe and often fatal disease called panleukopenia, which affects the cat’s bone marrow and intestines. It causes fever, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, and low white blood cell count. It is spread by contact with infected feces or contaminated objects. There is no cure, but vaccination can prevent infection in healthy cats.
- Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP): This virus causes a chronic and fatal disease that affects various organs in the cat’s body, such as the liver, kidneys, lungs, and brain. It causes fluid accumulation in the abdomen or chest, weight loss, fever, and neurological signs. It is spread by contact with infected saliva or feces. There is no effective treatment or vaccine for FIP.
These are some of the most common viral diseases in cats, but there are others that can also affect them. It is important to keep your cat indoors, away from other cats that may be infected, and to take it to the vet regularly for check-ups and vaccinations. If you notice any signs of illness in your cat, you should seek veterinary help as soon as possible. I hope this information was helpful for you.
(1) Common Infectious Cat Diseases You Should Know About – The Spruce Pets. https://www.thesprucepets.com/cat-infectious-diseases-3384847.
(2) Common Cat Diseases | ASPCA. https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/common-cat-diseases.
(3) Common Cat Viruses: Seven Types – Cats.com. https://cats.com/common-cat-viruses.
(4) The 7 Most Common Viruses and Diseases in Cats – PetWellClinic. https://www.petwellclinic.com/wp/2021/12/03/the-7-most-common-viruses-and-diseases-in-cats/.
(5) Viral Infections in Cats – Vetinfo.com. https://www.vetinfo.com/viral-infections-in-cats.html.